Thursday, August 4, 2011

The Case of Walmart

After reading the textbook and watching the video, I feel that Walmart does have negative effects on the American economy and job market. While the low prices can save people money, I think placing factories in China takes away hundreds of jobs for Americans. Factory plants are now simply wasting land all over America because of the effects the demand for lower prices has created. Since goods are cheaper to produce overseas and create a cheaper product, American goods are losing value. I found the statement about America's trade deficit with China to be profound. If there is a way to produce goods China would buy in such large quantities, such as those that America buys from China, then I think this trade flow could greatly benefit both countries. I think Walmart has created a monopoly over selling products. The effects Walmart has had on big companies, such as Rubbermaid, seem harsh, demanding, and unrealistic. In order for many companies to grow and survive, they need to sell to Walmart at very low prices and in large amounts to make a profit off the low prices. Although Walmart provides great prices for many products, I think a slightly higher priced product could benefit more people because it would place less of a demand for products to be made overseas and would use more American materials.

2 comments:

  1. Rachel: I've had a split between my students as to whether Walmart is a good thing or a bad thing. Whatever the case, there has been an increase in the number of corportations that are using Walmart to guide them in running their operations. Good work. Richard Bobys

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I think Walmart has set a new standard for how to conduct business and for how business transactions work.

    ReplyDelete