Monday, August 8, 2011

Urban/Suburban/Rural Life

Over the years, population has continued to increase causing the community we live in to change as well. I agree with the book that inner-city areas have become segregated and lack many resources. I also agree that suburbs farther away, around 40 miles, from cities have continued to grow. The town I live in now is a suburb that has greatly increased since I moved there eleven years ago. Since it is close to D.C., many people who work in D.C. live in our town. The suburbanization and growth of our town has influenced many business to open stores there. However, I do think the recession and the crash of the housing market either stopped people from moving to the suburbs or cause people to move out of the suburbs into cheaper areas. While the economy has improved I am do not think an era of urban renewal is occurring in cities. Especially after listening to Week Fourteen's podcast, it seems more city buildings are decaying rather than being upgraded. However, I do think there are more jobs in cities than in rural areas. With the increasing population, in the future there may be very few rural areas and more cities throughout the world. I think the growing suburbs could turn some places into cities while some rural areas turn into suburbs and cities become very overcrowded. It will be telling to see if one of the UN's estimated predictions for the world population is correct.

No comments:

Post a Comment