Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Shift Happens

After watching the video, I did wonder how much our world will change in just five years. Population growth is inevitable, but to think that while we are in school, for some people, the education they receive for the jobs they are training for will be out-of-date by the time they graduate. Although you cannot control the speed of innovation occurring, I do think the education system will need to be updated in order for people to be knowledgeable about their field by the time they graduate. Since I am not getting a technical degree, I am not sure how I would change the system or if it is even possible to do so. However, since many people will have had ten jobs by the time they are thirty-eight, I do think everyone should receive a well-rounded education, whether that being knowledgeable about different types of math, science or having students either double major or receiving a major and minor in contrasting fields.

I do think the continual improvements in information processing and it's availability are improving our lives. I think since the internet was invented people are being exposed to different cultures and ideas they may not have heard about in their community or in school. I also think information processing has helped the medical field by promoting organizations that help with charities and by allowing people in remote locations to receive necessary medical information. I also think the advancements in information processing will continue to help people all around the world. I think the information processing advancements have changed our society and will continue to modify societal norms, education, and the work and economic infrastructure of our world.

2 comments:

  1. I am not sure there is anything we can do to prevent people from having educations that become out of date so quickly. It is nearly impossible to keep up with all the new information that is coming out. Schools would be constantly changing their curriculums and would have to spend lots of money on getting new books and materials. I think the best thing would be for people to continue their education after graduating. People underestimate the power of continuing education. Anyone can take a seminar or a class online like this one to learn something new or learn a new trade for a job. You can take a class at any age. People in the medical field are already obligated to do this since medicine is always changing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it is in most people's interest to continue taking education classes even after they have graduated from college. Teachers also have to take continuing education classes in order to increase their knowledge and skills.

    ReplyDelete